This workshop has passed.
Contact The Counselling Group for more information on upcoming workshops like this one:
More information on this workshop:
The Counselling Group, a program of Jewish Family Services of Ottawa, is pleased to welcome Stephen Madigan MSW., MSc., PhD. as the presenter at our upcoming annual conference. This is an excellent opportunity for psychotherapists, social workers, psychologists, mental health professionals, physicians, family mediators, family law lawyers, clergy and chaplains, students, and others working with couples experiencing conflict.
The premise of this workshop is: Relationships are relational! Stephen will demonstrate and guide participants in innovative practices of relational interviewing with couples, including:In this workshop Stephen will offer participants a guided relationally-based learning experience focusing on clinical techniques that support conflicted couples, whether they are reconnecting or going through the mediation and separation process.
- Discovering common ground and creating spaces of appreciation and relational safety
- Reconstructing valued relational histories, re-membering, re-telling and re-collecting conversations
- Appreciating and working with the grief process surrounding the relationship the couple has lost.
- Exploring the couple’s relationship to cultural expectations of relationships, the demands this places on the relationship, and the effects
- Re-appreciating the relationship’s history and abilities to survive
- Developing possible acceptance, compassion and consensual joint actions for relationship repair
These relational interviewing practices with conflicted couples will also be demonstrated through recent live video footage of sessions conducted in Norway, Canada, and USA.
Continuing education credits
All participants will be receiving a Certificate of Participation which can be used for Continuing Education Credits.
About the Workshop Facilitator
Stephen Madigan holds an MSW as well as an MSc and PhD in Couple and Family Therapy. He is Director of the Vancouver School for Narrative Therapy and was awarded the elite American Family Therapy Academy Award for Innovation and Excellence in Couple and Family Therapy. The American Psychological Association will publish a 2nd edition of his best-selling 2011 book Narrative Therapy – theory and practice in September 2018. Stephen trains, supervises and consults with Norway’s National High Conflict Couple Team Project; teaches with Relationships Australia and – presents narrative therapy informed Relational Interviewing workshops worldwide.