Through Jewish traditions, values, and culture, to build a community where people can learn to care for themselves and each other with dignity, respect, and compassion.
In the spirit of Tikkun Olam, our mission is to strengthen Jewish Communal life and to strengthen individual, family and communal life in the greater Ottawa community. This mission is accomplished through direct social service, partnership, and advocacy.
Reporting to the Executive Director the Human Resource Specialist will provide information and support on all activities related to the management of human resources at Jewish Family Services. The Human Resources Specialist will have an in-depth knowledge and ability to understand relevant policies, procedures, and laws.
Duties and Responsibilities
Human Resource Policies
- Responsible for maintaining the JFS Human Resources Policy Manual to ensure it is in compliance with Ontario Employment Standards Act, Ministry of Labour and OHSA
- Ensure that HR Policies are appropriately followed as required
- Recommend HR process improvements
- Prepare and update employment records related to hiring, transferring, promoting, and termination
- Explain HR Policies, procedures, applicable laws and employment standards to new and existing employees
- Ensure all documentation, such as new hire, termination or leave documentation is completed and processed
- Support Unit Managers in developing and coordinating job postings, reviewing resumes, and performing reference checks
- Together with unit manager, provide orientation to new employees of job duties, responsibilities, benefits, schedules, working conditions, and other HR related matter.
- Ensure that any employment relations issues, such as work complaints and harassment allegations are addressed in the manner outlined by the policies of JHS
- Process all personnel action forms and ensure proper approval is obtained
- Ensure that all employee files are complete and accurate
- Ensure documentation for enrollment in or changes to JFS benefits plans is provided to the Accounting Office for processing on a timely basis
Other HR Related Activities
- As required by funders, assist to prepare government risk assessment and compliance reports
- Provide confidential, professional consultation to management and employees as required
- Keep current with evolving HR policies and appropriate Federal and Provincial employment legislation
- Perform general personnel administrative tasks as required
- Compose routine HR correspondence
- Complete special projects as required
- Completion or active enrollment in a certified Human Resources Management academic program including completion of basic courses on HR Management, Compensation and Health & Safety or equivalent experience
- Three (3) years minimum administrative experience in Human Resources
- Must handle sensitive information in a confidential and professional manner
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational and problem-solving skills (accuracy is essential)
- Previous experience with recruiting is an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge of current employment legislation in Ontario, market trends and Human Resources best practices.
- Advanced level knowledge of MS Office and knowledge of an HRIS system.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position; however, we will communicate only with the selected candidates.
Please send cover letter and resume to Rotem Brajtman:
Deadline to Apply: August 17, 2018
Jewish Family Services of Ottawa supports equal opportunity employment. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier free. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code. Applicants need to make any accommodation requests for the interview or selection process known in advance by contacting the Assistant Executive Director responsible for the job posting. The Assistant Executive Director will work together with the hiring committee to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation for the selection process which will enable the applicant to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.